Protecting Your Computer
Getting your computer hacked can be a terrible ordeal from having computer viruses to getting important information stolen from you. There are ways to make it harder for a hacker to get into your computer and get your personal information.
- Have a firewall on your computer- This will immediately stop hackers from having access to your computer. This firewall is only a deterrent for hackers. It is possible for them to get through this but it will put off hackers from trying to get into your computer and they may move on to an easier target.
- Install anti-virus software- This will help keep viruses off your computer. Viruses are one way hackers use to get into your computer and get your personal information.
- Don’t open unknown attachments-Only open attachments from people who you know because attachments can contain viruses that infect your computer.
- Choose a password that is difficult to guess- Try to use passwords that do not contain personal information like your name or your birthday. If you have a password with personal information it makes it much easier for a hacker to get into your computer. Make sure that your passwords have: uppercase and lowercase letters, symbols ($, &, !), and numbers. A mixture of all of those will create a very secure password.
- Don’t use the same password for every account- If all your accounts have the same password the hacker only needs to get it once and then they have access to all your information.